User Name
Password

Old 06-11-2006, 12:50 AM   #1
91slicktop
1 Quick NA

Car Specs: 91 Slicktop NA
Send a message via AIM to 91slicktop
Fried my brakes

Well today at the local road course i fried my rotors, Z is outta comission until i can replace the rotors. I'm flat broke right now, to the point where im asking for Paypal donations =/...rather sad IMO.

[email protected]

I'll also be working on Zmods stickers, hopefully that will help a little to pay for this fix.
1quickNA- Stillen Headers, JWT intake, UO underdrive pullies, Custom exhaust. (Soon to add: TT eibach Pro springs, KYB AGX Adj Shocks, HKS hi power exhaust, Test pipes, ASH-Spec ECU, new shoes, N2 set up)
Offline:   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 10:35 AM   #2
canyoncarver
Ancient NOOB

Car Specs: '93 Nissan 300zx
My Garage
Send a message via AIM to canyoncarver
Re: Fried my brakes

Where's the pics? Did they warp all to hell or what? If they're stock rotorz, you can get them turned for ~$10 each.

SLICKTOP OWNERS FTW
Old 06-11-2006, 12:22 PM   #3
91slicktop
1 Quick NA

Quote:
Originally Posted by canyoncarver
Where's the pics? Did they warp all to hell or what? If they're stock rotorz, you can get them turned for ~$10 each.

Im not sure how bad they are warped. I just know that i was parked yesterday on a slight incline, i disenguaged my ebrake, popped it into neutral and went to roll back like i normally would, and nothing happend. Mark is almost certain its warped rotors. Turning them wouldnt solve the problem, it would just return next time i go to the track. Other people are telling me that "theres no such thing as a warped rotor" and refered me to this page...

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/w...brakedisk.shtml

So im still not to sure on what im going to do yet. Any opinions on whats going on?
Old 06-11-2006, 12:57 PM   #4
canyoncarver
Ancient NOOB

My Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91slicktop
Other people are telling me that "theres no such thing as a warped rotor" and refered me to this page...

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/w...brakedisk.shtml

So im still not to sure on what im going to do yet. Any opinions on whats going on?
The write-up is flawed. Of course the guy selling StopTechs wants you to buy his rotors. There is some importance to making sure that the rotorz are mounted correctly, the hubs are in good condition and the wheels are properly mounted and tightened, but rotors warp. I've chucked warped rotors up in a lathe and checked them with a dial indicator. El-cheapo pepboys, etc, rotors warp way easier than good ones like brembos, stoptechs and the like.

If your rear rotors are warped it might be bacause you set the parking brake after going out on the track and coming back in when the brakes were super hot. The parking brake pressure on hot rotors forces them out of round and when they cool they hold their new shape. ie: don't use the parking brake at the track.

You can do as you wish..... , but if your outta money, getting them turned will get you back on the road for alot less money than buying new rotorz.

btw: I have a perfectly good set of used rear rotorz right now on ebay.
Old 06-11-2006, 01:41 PM   #5
93daytona

Car Specs: 1990 2+2 5spd
Send a message via AIM to 93daytona

Quote:
Turning them wouldnt solve the problem, it would just return next time i go to the track.

Getting them turned will get it back on the road. Just don't go back to the track until you have money for new rotors

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/762589/1
Old 06-11-2006, 01:58 PM   #6
91slicktop
1 Quick NA

Quote:
The write-up is flawed. Of course the guy selling StopTechs wants you to buy his rotors. There is some importance to making sure that the rotorz are mounted correctly, the hubs are in good condition and the wheels are properly mounted and tightened, but rotors warp. I've chucked warped rotors up in a lathe and checked them with a dial indicator. El-cheapo pepboys, etc, rotors warp way easier than good ones like brembos, stoptechs and the like.

If your rear rotors are warped it might be bacause you set the parking brake after going out on the track and coming back in when the brakes were super hot. The parking brake pressure on hot rotors forces them out of round and when they cool they hold their new shape. ie: don't use the parking brake at the track.

You can do as you wish..... , but if your outta money, getting them turned will get you back on the road for alot less money than buying new rotorz.

btw: I have a perfectly good set of used rear rotorz right now on ebay.

Hmm good point. now that i recall i did set the ebrake while i was at the track after a few runs. and at the track it was somewhere between 90-110 degrees. I just tried another remedy someone suggested to me. Accelerate to 70 and brake down to about 10mph to try to smooth out any debris that got under the pad. and then drive a while with no braking. DId that. Also, i've noticed that when i brake i can hear something contract/realease up front (what i belive to be my calipers) as i push/release my brake pedal. Any ideas on that? would that be caused by a warped rotor and the caliper not being able to seat properly? Also my brake fluid is a light/mid brown color, about time for a change. Any word on how to do that?
Old 06-11-2006, 02:33 PM   #7
canyoncarver
Ancient NOOB

My Garage

When I bleed my brakes, I usually bleed one reservoirs worth of fluid out thru each caliper. That way I know all of the old fluid is flushed.

You can improve overheated brakes by taking some sand paper to the rotorz and pads to remove the glaze that occurs from the heat. It won't usually eliminate any pulsating but it will improve the grip of the pads. Obviously if you see any buildup on the rotorz, you can sand it all off.
Old 06-11-2006, 03:05 PM   #8
91slicktop
1 Quick NA

Quote:
When I bleed my brakes, I usually bleed one reservoirs worth of fluid out thru each caliper. That way I know all of the old fluid is flushed.

You can improve overheated brakes by taking some sand paper to the rotorz and pads to remove the glaze that occurs from the heat. It won't usually eliminate any pulsating but it will improve the grip of the pads. Obviously if you see any buildup on the rotorz, you can sand it all off.

someone else also suggested that to me. I may give it a try. Although i dont know how to get the pads off.

Does anyone know what that sound could be caused by when i brake?
Old 06-11-2006, 03:38 PM   #9
93daytona

Is it a creaking sound? My z does it on hot days, and i've read about it a few times. Iirc, it has something to do with the brake pad shims.

As for removing the brakes, it's simple. Unbolt the calipers, then there are 2 pins that go through the caliper and pad. They're held in by a cotter pin. Pull the cotter pin out, pull the pin out, then the pads fall out.
Old 06-11-2006, 04:02 PM   #10
91slicktop
1 Quick NA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93daytona
Is it a creaking sound? My z does it on hot days, and i've read about it a few times. Iirc, it has something to do with the brake pad shims.

As for removing the brakes, it's simple. Unbolt the calipers, then there are 2 pins that go through the caliper and pad. They're held in by a cotter pin. Pull the cotter pin out, pull the pin out, then the pads fall out.

yes its a creaking sound now that i think of it.

So whats everyones final verdict? Glazed pads or warped rotors? Combination?

Last edited by 91slicktop : 06-11-2006 at 04:06 PM.
Old 06-11-2006, 04:22 PM   #11
canyoncarver
Ancient NOOB

My Garage

You don't have to unbolt the calipers to remove the pads. Just remove the two long pins and slide the pads out. Clean everything off with scotchbrite and brake parts cleaner before putting the new pads in. Not doing the cleaning is the single biggest cause of squeaky brakes.

Verdict. If the pedal pulsates or the car shakes when braking......... turn the rotorz or replace the rotorz and install new pads. Afterwards, flush and bleed the brake fluid. If you're gonna do some more track dayz, upgrade your brake fluid the the Motul RBF600.

If the brakes feel mushy and lack stopping power, sand the rotorz and pads and then bleed them.

The creaking sounds are inherent in disc brake systems. The pads, over time, don't wear parallel to the calipers. If you look closely at the pads, they tip as they wear, and put the caliper pistons in a bind when braking. This causes the creaking.

Last edited by canyoncarver : 06-11-2006 at 04:25 PM.
Old 06-11-2006, 04:31 PM   #12
91slicktop
1 Quick NA

Alright, my first thing im going to look at is the condition of the pad. I think they just may be old and done with at this point. I'll take it to a local shop, see what they say, and go from there.
Old 06-12-2006, 07:36 PM   #13
KENZ
Silvered Hawaiian

Car Specs: ZX-Less
Send a message via AIM to KENZ

Quote:
I'm flat broke right now, to the point where im asking for Paypal donations =/...rather sad IMO.

so how were goin to get new shoes?

>> http://www.zmods.org/forums/showthread.php?t=251 <<

My sold ZX fly by and pull up.
Old 06-12-2006, 11:40 PM   #14
ZMANZ32TT
Super Moderator Yo!

Car Specs: 1991 Z32 TT, 1991 Z32 NA, 1978 280Z
My Garage
Send a message via AIM to ZMANZ32TT

gangsta
Old 06-12-2006, 11:59 PM   #15
91slicktop
1 Quick NA

Quote:
Originally Posted by KENZ
so how were goin to get new shoes?

>> http://www.zmods.org/forums/showthread.php?t=251 <<

Because i was getting them whole sale, so i would have had enough. Now ill be spending $700 rather than $400, that my friend is why
Old 06-13-2006, 12:33 AM   #16
93daytona

Quote:
Because i was getting them whole sale, so i would have had enough. Now ill be spending $700 rather than $400, that my friend is why

Don't take this the wrong way, but if you're that tight on money that you can't afford new rotors/pads, you probably shouldn't be looking to spend money on wheels. Considering that you track the car, you should be stashing money aside for the extra maintenance that will come with the extra abuse.
Old 06-13-2006, 01:52 AM   #17
91slicktop
1 Quick NA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93daytona
Don't take this the wrong way, but if you're that tight on money that you can't afford new rotors/pads, you probably shouldn't be looking to spend money on wheels. Considering that you track the car, you should be stashing money aside for the extra maintenance that will come with the extra abuse.

I wasnt expecting anything to break so soon. it was the first time the Z was ever on the track.
Old 06-13-2006, 07:00 AM   #18
canyoncarver
Ancient NOOB

My Garage

That's how you learn to play the game of "If you want to play..... you got to pay".
Old 06-13-2006, 01:41 PM   #19
91slicktop
1 Quick NA

Quote:
That's how you learn to play the game of "If you want to play..... you got to pay".

Well after i get this kit paid off (ordered the Z1 kit) then im going to save up about 1k and set it aside for repairs.

I'll end up needing to pay back my mom about $200 bucks.
I hate owing money =/
Old 06-13-2006, 03:36 PM   #20
canyoncarver
Ancient NOOB

My Garage

Quote:
Well after i get this kit paid off (ordered the Z1 kit) .......

Cool, what did you buy? BBK?
Old 06-14-2006, 12:01 AM   #21
91slicktop
1 Quick NA

Quote:
Cool, what did you buy? BBK?

dont think so. search on Z1 for "brake kit" its the $615 one. Came to $631 with shipping
Old 06-21-2006, 11:47 AM   #22
tebriel

rotors don't warp, it's a misnomer, really they just accumulate different levels of deposits on the surfaces of the rotors.
however, it seems more like your ebrake isn't disengaging, or your calipers are stuck.
-teb