Old 06-11-2006, 01:58 PM   #6
91slicktop
1 Quick NA

Car Specs: 91 Slicktop NA
Send a message via AIM to 91slicktop
Re: Fried my brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by canyoncarver
The write-up is flawed. Of course the guy selling StopTechs wants you to buy his rotors. There is some importance to making sure that the rotorz are mounted correctly, the hubs are in good condition and the wheels are properly mounted and tightened, but rotors warp. I've chucked warped rotors up in a lathe and checked them with a dial indicator. El-cheapo pepboys, etc, rotors warp way easier than good ones like brembos, stoptechs and the like.

If your rear rotors are warped it might be bacause you set the parking brake after going out on the track and coming back in when the brakes were super hot. The parking brake pressure on hot rotors forces them out of round and when they cool they hold their new shape. ie: don't use the parking brake at the track.

You can do as you wish..... , but if your outta money, getting them turned will get you back on the road for alot less money than buying new rotorz.

btw: I have a perfectly good set of used rear rotorz right now on ebay.

Hmm good point. now that i recall i did set the ebrake while i was at the track after a few runs. and at the track it was somewhere between 90-110 degrees. I just tried another remedy someone suggested to me. Accelerate to 70 and brake down to about 10mph to try to smooth out any debris that got under the pad. and then drive a while with no braking. DId that. Also, i've noticed that when i brake i can hear something contract/realease up front (what i belive to be my calipers) as i push/release my brake pedal. Any ideas on that? would that be caused by a warped rotor and the caliper not being able to seat properly? Also my brake fluid is a light/mid brown color, about time for a change. Any word on how to do that?
1quickNA- Stillen Headers, JWT intake, UO underdrive pullies, Custom exhaust. (Soon to add: TT eibach Pro springs, KYB AGX Adj Shocks, HKS hi power exhaust, Test pipes, ASH-Spec ECU, new shoes, N2 set up)
Offline:   Reply With Quote